Total Pageviews

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Stairs and Treadmills Are My Enemies

Okay, so I'm going to tell you some of the bad things that have happened to me. Starting last year at the beginning of 8th grade, up until now.

On my 14th birthday, at 10pm, my body-length mirror fell and shattered on me when I was in my bedroom. I stayed calm the whole time, instantly went to the tile bathroom so that blood wouldn't get into the carpet too much, and patiently called and waited for help. My mom came and saw me, and then a few minutes later, we were on our way to the emergency room. I ended up getting 4 stitches on the left side of my face, and 6 stitches on the pinkie finger of my left hand. I still have scars from these, and my fingernail hasn't begun healing yet (it has what I call a "canyon" running down the middle from where the mirror scraped it).
In the spring of 2009, in March, I fell down the stairs and badly sprained my right ankle. Being me, I braved it without crutches and hobbled my way through life. My ankle took months to heal, and I got through the summer without incident, but right before school started, I fell again and re-sprained the same ankle. Being in Marching Band, this was tough, but I participated anyways and hobbled to the field every morning. :)
My ankle healed, and by September it was getting better. However, in early September, I was diagnosed with tendinitis in my left forearm. It's also hitting a nerve in my hand, so for a month I didn't have mobility at all. I finally regained it back, but it still hurts. I've had it for four months now, and the doctor said to expect to have it for a while, and since mine is chronic, it's going to come back.
Tendinitis is hard to have, especially when you're a trumpet player like me. I've had to learn how to play with one hand, which is ridiculously difficult, but I've managed so far. Marching was torture, and after all this I better have some good arm muscles!
Being uber talented is no easy task. Hence, I fell down the stairs sometime in October and sprained BOTH of my ankles! I was in our school musical (Bye Bye Birdie) and band, but I continued to do those activities anyways because I'm stubborn and I wanted to. I marched Festival Show with the band despite everyone telling me not to, and I had to have people help carry me because my ankles started swelling and hurting so bad. I also continued to dance as best as I could in the musical, but I rolled in the hallways whenever I could and also got around on my knees. The only fun part was getting elevator passes and out of PE. But my hips and knees bruised really badly and started swelling as well, so I had help sometimes with people carrying me, and at the musical I used the wheelchair a couple of times. I had crutches for a while, and I absolutely hated them! I also marched in the Veteran's Day Parade with the band, and now many know me as the "hobbling trumpet player". I have become quite famous as the "klutz", "cripple", and "girl who always manages to injure herself." I can only hope that I become more graceful in the future...
However, last night, I wanted to run a mile (I used to run at least a mile every week before I sprained my ankles), so I was running down the stairs (bad idea, especially because that's how I sprained my ankles all 3 times), and fell. I didn't injure myself too badly, but even though I was hurt, I was determined to run my mile anyway. I texted my boyfriend and told him how I had fallen down the stairs, and then I turned on the treadmill and had ran half of my mile in 2 minutes, when he called me. My phone ran and startled me so bad that I tripped on the treadmill and went careening back into some boxes. My ankle turned inward again, but I caught and steadied myself on some boxes. I turned off the treadmill and picked up my phone. My boyfriend had called to ask me about the story on how I fell down the stairs. So I told him, then informed him of me falling off the treadmill, and after he found out that I was alright, he laughed.
Then, I stood up and fell sideways off the treadmill and wedged myself in between some boxes. I was stuck. My boyfriend stayed on the phone with me, and I eventually got unstuck.
Story of my life.

Your crippled writer,
Elle Camino

No comments:

Post a Comment